Do you like Grasshopper Pie? Andes Candies? Junior Mints? Girl Scout Thin Mints? All of the above? Then you will love this delicious cake recipe I’ve got for you today!
This recipe is one my Grandma Margaret used to make every summer. This light, creamy, minty-fudgy cake is best served refrigerated, so it’s delicious and refreshing even on the hottest days. Flash forward lots of years and my family loves to have this cake several times a year. Because it’s a beautiful cool-green color, it’s also a natural choice for St. Patrick’s Day. It’s also great for birthdays. That’s why we made it at our house this time: my youngest son is turning 8 this week and chose this cake for his special day.
I love how easy it is to whip up, too: only 6 ingredients (not counting water for the cake mix), a 13 x 9 rectangular cake pan (so no extricating anything from the cake pan before frosting), and no mad frosting skills are required to make it look awesome.
Grasshopper Creme de Menthe Cake Toppings
I left mine plain this time because my little guy wanted it plain on top (so we could adorn it with lots of different types of candles and write happy birthday with gel/glaze on top), but I love adding one or more of the following toppings to this cake. Just sprinkle them on and serve!
- Chopped Andes candies
- Crumbled Oreo cookies (the mint Oreo flavor is also good on this cake!)
- Chopped Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies
- Mini chocolate chips
Grasshopper Creme de Menthe Cake Recipe
Grasshopper Creme de Menthe Cake
- 1 box 1 box white cake mix (+ water, oil, and eggs according to cake mix instructions)
- 4 tbsp creme de menthte
- 1 16 oz tub of Cool Whip
- 4 tbsp creme de menthe
- 1 jar Hershey's fudge ice cream topping
- Prepare cake mix as directed by package, stirring in creme de menthe.
- Bake as directed for a 9 x 13 inch cake/casserole pan.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- Once the cake is cool, carefully spread with entire can of fudge topping.
- Carefully fold remaining 4 tbsp of creme de menthe into the Cool Whip (don’t beat).
- Spread carefully over the layer of fudge topping.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until it's time to serve it.
Makes one 13 x 9 inch cake.
That’s it! It doesn’t get much easier than that, folks. It also doesn’t get much better. Yummmmmmm.