3 Tips to Transition Your Wardrobe Between Seasons on a Budget
Spring is my favorite “day” between winter and summer. It doesn’t make sense to buy a whole new wardrobe for that minute window of gorgeous spring weather between the polar vortexes and heat waves, so your best bet is to have some good transitional pieces that can carry you thought a day that might be both cold and hot. Secondhand stores are one of my favorite places to find brand name basics and fun, unique items you can’t find in stores. The same holds true for hone decor — check out some secondhand items I featured in last week’s post if you missed it. Today I’m sharing some recent consignment store finds and tips for looking stylish in the classroom and out during those in-between seasons.
Recently I attended a Teacher Style event at Castaway’s Consignment, a cute little local consignment store. I’ve been dropping off clothes to sell there for a while now, and I can always find cute basics (and great brands) and unique pieces there at a great price. Most of the pieces I’m featuring today were Castaways finds, and I’ll drop a few links to similar items as well.
Note: This post contains affiliate links, meaning I may earn a small commission at no cost to you if you buy via these links. As always, all opinions expressed here are 100% my own, and I only share brands and products I love and think you will, too.
Tip 1: Go for classic pieces in easy-to-mix-in colors.
In between seasons, I tend to stick with very basic color combos (think black, white, and denim) with classic pieces. Then I mix things up with accessories or fun outerlayers. This olive Loft blouse (a consignment store find) will be perfect dressed up or down. It’s pretty worn alone on warmer days, or if it’s cold I can throw on any sort of blazer, moto, denim jacket, or sweater. Distressed jeans in a lighter color are perfect for spring and summer. White jeans have become a year-round staple and are particularly great for making a wintery outfit more springy. Finally, faux leather leggings are a year-round item that goes perfectly with longer layers.
Tip 2: Layer, layer, layer.
The best way to make sure you’re not too hot or too cold is to wear layers you can add or subtract. My favorite layering pieces this spring are mostly jackets: denim jackets, moto jackets, and blazers are my top three picks at the moment. Denim jackets are great items to pick up at secondhand stores! They’re pretty easy to find, you’ll save a lot of money, and they’re something that never goes out of style.
Tip 3: Accessorize!
Accessories are where you can add pops of color or fun trends without breaking the bank. Right now I’m loving leopard belts and tortoise accessories, snakeprint shoes and accessories, and small (think bandana-sized) scarves tied around the neck or in a pony tail. Yellow and coral are great colors to “pop,” and red is a perennial favorite for this. A bright colored bag or shoe can add that finishing touch and an element of fun. I showed mostly boots above, but if you know it’s going to be warmer, a sandal would make any of these looks feel more like spring. The yellow kicks I’m wearing below add a more casual feel to this plain blouse-and-white-jeans look (swap out the kicks for a bright red or caramel-colored sandal for a dressier look).
Shop the Items in This Post
I found either exact matches or great dupes for everything you see in these photos. At post time, all items were under $100 — most WAY under $100.
- Olive blouse – Topshop, another Topshop, H&M, Express , Loft
- Distressed denim jacket – Blank NYC, Levi’s, Vince Camuto
- Long striped cardigan – Kensie, Chicos, Dillards, Zulily
- Striped tunic – Chicos, Zulily, Denim & Co, Banana Republic
- Gingham/Check blouse – Loft (exact item), Mango, BP, Talbots
- White jeans – Banana Republic, Madewell, Kut from the Kloth, NYDJ
- Distressed cropped straight jeans – Levi’s (exact item), Kut from the Kloth, Topshop
- Faux leather leggings – Spanx (‘nuf said; exact item)
- Tan booties – Clarks, Steve Madden, Sam Edelman
- Black peep toe booties – Nordstrom, Vince Camuto, Kendall & Kylie
- Yellow sneakers – Adidas Campus (exact item), Vans, Converse, Tretorn
- Leopard belt – Express (wide, double-ring), Express (narrow), Mango (wide, single ring), Mango (narrow)
- Double-O-Ring belt – River Island (black croc), River Island (snakeprint), Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie (beige, brown, or black)
- Tortoise acrylic hoop earrings – Anna & Ava, A New Day/Target, Sugarfix/Target
What are some ways you transition your wardrobe between seasons?