Fall Forecast: Animal Prints for Days
Animal prints have been trending for a few years now. First we saw pops of leopard and cheetah creeping in; then last year snake prints slithered in and joined them. Zebra prints have bounded onto the scene recently, and this trend shows no signs of stopping in the near future. One way to dip a toe into the animal print trend if you haven’t yet is to add one or two simple items and work them in with everyday basics. Today I’m sharing 10 animal print items under $20 that would be easy to mix in with your current fall wardrobe, along with my best tips for wearing animal prints.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. Shopping via these links means I may earn a small commission at no cost to you. As always, all opinions expressed here are 100% my own, and I only share products and brands that I love and think you will, too.
10 Animal Print Items Under $20
1. Zebra Print Sweater, $19.99
This neutral colors in this print will work for late summer, fall, and winter, and this lightweight sweater is perfect alone now or layered all throughout fall and winter. Shop it here.
2. Snake Print Sneakers, $19.99
What I love about these sneakers is the thickness of the sole and the light, bright color of the snake print. Shop them here.
3. Long Sleeve Leopard Tee, $8.97
The price of this long sleeve tee is unbeatable, and you’ll be able to wear it alone in late summer and early fall, and with a denim jacket, cardigan, or vest when things cool down. I think it would look really cute knotted and worn with a black skirt, pants, or jeans. Shop it here.
4. Gray Leopard/Cheetah Sweater, $19.99
A simple animal print in a neutral color is always a win. This white and gray sweater can be dressed up with work pants or skirts or just as easily worn with distressed jeans or joggers on the weekend. Shop it here.
5. Off-Shoulder Zebra Top, $19.99
Okay, maybe you’re not going to be wearing an off-the-shoulder top in the colder parts of fall and winter, but you could definitely wear this in early fall or beyond with an outer layer. Dress up a pair of jeans, or go full-on dressy with black pants or a pencil skirt and heels. Shop it here.
6. Leopard Print Denim Trucker Jacket, $18.98
This cute jacket would be the perfect way to amp up your jeans-and-tee look. Alternately, it would be equally at home over a black dress. Either way, it’s a great statement piece at an unbeatable price. Shop it here.
7. Short Sleeve Snake Print Top, $16.99
This pretty top has a keyhole back and, like many of the other items here, could easily be dressed up for work or down for play. Shop it here.
8. Short Sleeve Leopard Print Top, $19.99
Here’s a similar top to the one above, but in a leopard/cheetah type print. The material is crepe, so it’s another versatile choice perfect for work to weekend and everything in between. Shop it here.
9. Snake Print Ankle Boots, $19.98
I have a similar pair of ankle boots that I bought last winter for around $100, so at under $20, these cuties are a steal. Shop them here.
10. Leopard Print Midi Skirt, $16.99
Print midi skirts are everywhere right now, especially animal print ones. This would look great with a graphic tee and sneakers or with a nicer blouse and heels for work or date night. If you’re interested, hurry: this skirt will sell out quickly — it’s Rachel Zoe and an amazing price. Shop it here.
Rules for Styling Animal Prints (and How to Break Them)
There really are no rights or wrongs when it comes to style, but here are a few ways I like to incorporate animal prints into my own wardrobe.
1. Wear one main animal print item with solids. – If wearing a larger animal print item (shirt, cardigan, skirt), the rest of the outfit should be solid colors. This will put the focus on that bold animal print item.
2. Wear one main animal print item with a different print. – You can also try mixing prints. I like to mix prints that have colors that look good together, and that are a different scale (e.g., one of the prints has a larger scale, and the other print is small scale).
3. Wear a few smaller animal print items together. – Sometimes I like to wear several small items in the same print. For example, I’ll wear leopard earrings and a leopard belt. Or I’ll carry a snake print bag and wear snake print ankle boots. I don’t usually mix prints when I do this, but mixing prints could work if the colors work well together and the rest of your outfit is pretty neutral.
4. Wear a neutral animal print with something in a bold color. – If your animal print colors are neutral (think white/gray or beige/black, etc.), a bold pop of color is a great way to make both stand out. I love to wear a bright yellow, orange, or red skirt or tee with a leopard print cardigan.
5. Stay on the casual side by adding some denim or sneakers. – Personally, I almost always stay on the casual side with denim or sneakers when I wear animal prints. While animal prints can look fabulous dressed up, I just feel a little too Peg Bundy (some of you are old enough to know who that is — if you’re not, Google her) when I’m dressed up in heels and animal prints. If you do want to dress up in animal prints, keep it simple: choose a print that’s not too busy or colorful, and go classic with the rest of your look.
What are your favorite ways to wear animal prints?